The Colonial Theater opened on the 700 block of East Broad St. in 1921. At one time this section of Broad was known as "Theater Row" because popular theaters like The National, The Bijou, The State, The Lubin and The Colonial all were within a few blocks. The Colonial Theater closed in the early 80s, and the building was mostly demolished in the early 90s, although the facade was preserved as part of the Theater Row Office Building that took it's place in 1993. Today, VCU occupies the building. Part of The State Theater can be seen at the left.